Thursday, 9 February 2017

Bembridge and the Solent : 9th - 12th August

With Sue's mum out of hospital we returned to the boat to sort things out and make the most of a few days aboard. We left the marina at 11:40 and with only 1.9m of water in the approach channel the keel had to be raised a little to prevent us grounding. A quick stop off at Itchenor pontoon allowed us to pay our harbour dues and was followed by lunch on a visitor mooring. At 13:45 we left the mooring and headed off to Bembridge harbour on the Isle of Wight. 

We arrived in Bembridge at 16-20 and moored on the inside of the pontoon at Duver Marina. In the evening we walked across the dunes to the Baywatch Cafe for supper with excellent views across the harbour and Solent.

'Norman James' moored on the inside of the pontoon.

 Walkway from the pontoon to shore.

View across the harbour from the Baywatch Cafe. 

The next day we took the ferry to the other side of the harbour and had a lovely walk along the shore to the lifeboat station and beyond. We were delighted to find another excellent sea shore restaurant ( The Lifeboat View ) for lunch right next to the walkway to the RNLI station.

A glorious day at Bembridge.

Bembridge Lifeboat Station.

 Along the beach towards Foreland.

 Bembridge Ledge from the lifeboat station.

After walking further along the coast we returned by ferry to the boat. Just before 15:00 we left the marina on the rising tide. An hour later we were anchored in Priory bay for the night.

Leaving the pontoon. 

Motoring down the buoyed channel 

At anchor in Priory Bay to the east of Ryde.

The next day we had a little beat up the Solent to look at all the action. We hadn't realised it was Cowes week and it was fun to see 'Phaedo 3' successfully defending the Artemis Challenge.

The Solent Fort Hotel. 

Ferries and Hovercraft to dodge. 

Phaedo 3 beating up the final leg to Cowes. 

Downwind Racing.

At Osbourne Bay we turned east and headed back to Chichester harbour to anchor at Pilsey Island for the night. The following day we returned to East Head to dry out so we could walk on the beach; such are the joys of owning a Southerly! After about five hours we refloated and were moored in Chichester Marina at 16:40.

We needed to return home so Sue could be close to her Mum. Mary passed away a month later.

No comments:

Post a Comment